"It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the extraordinary.” David Bailey

Friday, April 11, 2008

Night Photography...

Park Bridge at Night


Campus Hallway


Park at Night

These three photographs are my first experimentations with night photography. These experiments have given me a barometer for what to expect when taking photographs at night, and in low light settings.

I used FujiFilm 1600 speed color film for these photographs. It is the best speed for night photography, although it is expensive. All of the photographs were taken with an aperture setting of F8; I felt that this aperture setting would be a good middle ground baseline to work from. I took three exposures of each scene, and the exposures where staggered from ten, twenty, and thirty seconds.

I found that the different between the exposure times was essentially minimal, but the exposure time would be important depending on what kind of look I was trying to pull out of my photograph.

In the first photograph of the bridge I felt that a ten second exposure time produced the best photo, although I think that I will use a filter the next time I take a similar photo to reduce the starburst from the park lights. The longer exposures dulled the color of the grass, however increased the intensity of the reflection on the water.

In the second photograph I came to the conclusion that the ten second exposure time also produces the best result, because in the longer exposure time the red color of the brick is diffused and the shadows are less apparent. This is my favorite off all the night photos that I took with this roll, because it is simple and creates an interesting feeling when you look at it.

The second photograph I once again came to discover that less is more. With such a high speed film there is not a need for long exposure times, and with short exposure times you can bring out interesting things in a night photograph.

These photographs were taken in College Station, Texas, on the campus of Blinn College and in Wolf Creek Park. (Technical: Canon AE-1, FujiFilm 1600 speed color film)
Copyright: Teddy Wilson 2008

No comments: